Sunday 10 October 2010

Post-Exhibition Update - Sheffield MRS 2010

Last weekend I had the pleasure of operating "Wickersley" at the annual Sheffield Model Railway Society exhibition in Darnall, Sheffield. Since its exhibition debut at SMRS 2008 many things have been changed, added to and improved and this did not go unnoticed with several kind comments from those who had seen it two years ago. You can find more pictures of Wickersley and other layouts at the show by visiting the gallery.

It was a great day out, thanks in no small part to the SMRS team and I would like to thank Colin and Neil Lonley for their assistance in transporting and helping to operate the layout.



Of course, layouts are seldom "complete" and before the layout sees its next outing there are several minor changes I would like to make, such as installing lighting on the platforms and within the buildings and constructing a new fiddleyard - the traverser is great but being only able to move across a single track is too restrictive. The only other major change is decreasing the height of the layout. It currently stands at 112cm tall (around 3ft 8in). While this is great for an average height adult standing at the front, it's not so great for a kid. Plus, I'm not an average height adult and with the extra 12" of backscene I'm on tip toes to operate from the back - where the point rods are. With that in mind I'm going to decrease the overall height of the layout by 12cm. I could go on with discussing the best heights and factors one should take into account and so forth... but that should be another post.

Exhibition Invitations


If you would like to invite Wickersley to an exhibition please feel to contact me by emailing me with details of your show.

No comments: